The End - Coming in March. The LaGrange Legacy

The End - Coming in March. The LaGrange Legacy
Available at CreateSpace and Amazon

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Canned Lettuce

In trying to think of why my novel isn't selling, I considered that it is one title out of something like 9 million on Amazon. The fact that it's not number 9 million says something about the majority of titles, and since mine drops something like 100,000 spots each day, there's not much other than novelty separating my title from everyone else's.

Last night, I considered a comparison. What if you saw a product, canned lettuce, in your market. This strange product (actually, there is canned pickled lettuce used in Thai cooking, but we'll just use the analogy for now) is there on the grocery shelf, made by a completely unknown (to you) company.

Would you buy it? You don't know the contents or the producer. The answer is 'not likely,' obviously. The exception being if your Thai recipe called for it.

So, there's my lonesome little title in the midst of its nine million peers. It has unknown content, by an unknown person. Until and unless somebody has the literary equivalent of a Thai recipe calling for it, otherwise known as a high-level positive review, who would take the chance?

There are reviewers who will do it, requiring $100 and up (mostly up). CreateSpace offers connections to such reviews for around $500. The opportunities to increase expenses are truly amazing. It looks like the internet marketplace isn't working to my advantage. Evidently, I'll just have to take my books around and knock on doors. If I knock on yours, please be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment